Saturday, February 28, 2009

Berry Banana Bread


I've become a foodie-wanna-be. I love just about every cooking show on the Food Network. I've got a huge collection of cookbooks that I pull out and read just for fun. I love to try new recipes. I'm pretty comfortable inventing my own recipes for main and side dishes too.

Until yesterday though, I hadn't really experimented with baking. Sure, I'll change up the mix-ins on just about any recipe. But actually messing with the SCIENCE - I hadn't done that yet. My hubby is the scientist... not me.

I wanted to make banana bread though. And I wanted to use some buttermilk. And I thought that whole wheat flour would be a healthier choice. And then I decided I wanted to really go out on a limb and add some frozen berries. I just didn't have any recipes that included these ingredients.

So I made my own.

If I do say so, the bread turned out delicious. Dense enough (the way I like my banana bread). Yet moist, sweet and very banana-y.

I have no problem making up my own words.

BANANA-Y
ba•nan•a•y
adjective: A perfect blend of banana sweetness absolutely necessary in good banana bread or banana muffins.

BERRY BANANA BREAD

1/2 cup butter flavor Crisco
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup whipped banana (approximately 2 large bananas)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup frozen mixed berry blend (my combination included blueberries, raspberries and blackberries I think)

Cream together the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add the banana, buttermilk, vanilla, almond extract and mix to combine.

In a separate bowl sift together the flours, baking soda and salt.

Pour the dry ingredients on top of the wet and fold together. Do not overmix. Stir in the frozen berries. (In retrospect I should have tossed the berries in about 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture before mixing everything together. That's supposed to keep heavy mix-ins from sinking to the bottom.)

Pour batter into a 9x5 loaf pan that has been greased and floured. (Or use Bakers Joy - my very best baking friend!) Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yummyyyyyyyy

Jim

Cheryl said...

I knew exactly what banana-y meant. Looks delicious! I'm jealous; I'm getting better but there is still no way that I could come up with my own recipe for something like that! I suppose it's no big deal because you keep giving me new recipes that I can just copy. =)

Granny said...

Jenny has a good banana bread that uses buttermilk - and no fat if you want it better for you! It is very good! Yours sounds yummy too! You would do great in a constructive classroom. They have 1st graders at Freeburg making up their own recipes.

BusyMom said...

This bread sounds so good. I really like the idea of adding berries to banana bread.


Thanks for stopping by and giving me suggestion on homemade fries. I will have to try them. I'm sure I can add something to my menu plan that goes well with fries.