Thursday, October 21, 2010

The joys of fostering

Our family was a licensed foster family several years ago when we lived in the Midwest. We went through all the training and kept our license for a couple years - discontinuing only when we moved out of state. So, despite the fact that this is our first placement in Texas, most of the concepts of fostering aren't new to us.

That doesn't mean I have to like some of the concepts of fostering!

For example - We are the low man on the totem pole!!

There is a Family Group Conference scheduled for tomorrow morning from 9AM to Noon. Guess when we were told about it?! Did you say, "Yesterday at 4:30 when they called to remind you?"

If you did - you're right!

I nearly choked when the secretary said that she was calling to "remind" me. What if I worked outside the home?! What if I couldn't just drop everything for a three hour meeting?! I know the lawyers all got more warning that this. We are definitely the low man on the totem pole.

Here's the kicker though. The girls have to go too.

I get it. I really do. Despite that fact that reunification is currently planned with someone they (basically) don't know. It is still reunification and the girls need to be a part of that.

But again, a little forewarning would have been nice.

There is a Vocabulary Parade at their school tomorrow. It is for the ENTIRE school. It starts at 9:00AM. My girls have been working on their homemade costumes for the parade. They don't like to miss celebrations like this. And personally, I don't think they should have to. So much of their life is in upheaval right now. School should be a safe and consistent place for them. Besides, if I had known about this meeting ahead of time, I could have prepped the girls before they made their costumes and possibly worked out something special with the school and the costume contest. As it is, the principal has been kind enough to say that the girls can come in before school to have their costumes judged. They just won't get to participate in the parade with their classmates.

But, despite the fact that their education is important. Despite the fact that they are going to be PETRIFIED tomorrow. Despite the fact they don't even "know" the person the courts are currently working with for their permanent placement. They get the pleasure of being removed from school to go sit in a meeting with a bunch of lawyers, social workers and me. (Mr. Amazing does work outside the home and cannot take time off tomorrow!)

Oh the joys of fostering.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Praying for all of you tomorrow!

Leah W said...

that makes me want to cry. i hate that they can't even just have the normal little things like that.