Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Anxiety

We talk about his big feelings.
We talk about his big feelings.
We talk about his big feelings.

He's always allowed to stay close to us if he's feeling particularly anxious.
We do everything we can prepare him for changes in routine.
We puke on perfection.
We stomp out stress.

We talk about his big feelings.
We talk about his big feelings.
We talk about his big feelings.

Yet, I still feel very helpless.

I know that ultimately he has to own this. I can't feel the anxiety for him. I can't take it away.

We talk about the fact that God is the only one that can actually take it away.

This morning he pretended to reach into his belly button to grab the anxiety and throw it to God.

He knows what to do. But it is so difficult for him.

How do we continue to follow through with our calling to foster without sending Cherub 2 into an anxiety fit every single time the phone rings?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wish I had the answer for you. I'll just keep on praying.

jendoop said...

I know this may mean nothing because I don't know what you've already done, or much of the history but... With my own kids I hope their anxiety about fostering will subside as we do it and have a positive attitude. There is nothing like surviving something you're scared of to teach you how strong you are.

noisycolorfullively said...

I ask myself the very same thing. I don't know, but I feel like for us, we can't stop. He'll understand someday. That's what I believe. And I believe he will be healed.

It 'aint easy. Nope, it 'aint easy. But we're not alone.

MamaFoster said...

someday, when he grown up with a compassion for kids who have less than he did he will thank you and you will be glad you pushed him out of his comfort zone.

i am sure right now it is hard though and obviously I have no advise for that. you will figure it out, you may be doing everything right and it just takes time.