Monday, December 6, 2010

So much for that pregnant feeling

My land line almost never rings. Most everyone calls my hubby and I on our respective cell phones. We keep the land line though because when the cherubs are home alone (with the oldest babysitting) we want them to be able to reach us at all times. It's also the number we use for local contacts.

So...when the land line rang this morning, my heart skipped a beat. Somehow I just knew.

Sure enough, it was our foster care agency. They wanted to know if we'd be interested in taking a respite placement.

I quickly got in contact with Mr. Amazing to check with him but it was an easy "yes".  We're going to be caring for a two year old little girl and her three year old brother from Thursday morning until Sunday afternoon.

Then, this afternoon, the phone rang again.

More respite care. This time we would be needed from the 17th through the 23rd for...get this...four boys ages 14, 14, 14, and 16.

This one took a little bit more conversation before we came to our conclusion.

Four boys. All teenagers. Plus three boys of our own. One of them a teenager as well. (I'm outnumbered for sure!) Three "basic" foster kids and one "specialized". (Though their current foster mom says we won't have any problems at all.) Tons of groceries. School will be out. How will we entertain everyone? (I'm sure there will be too many video games.)

I consulted with Cherub 1 first. This respite placement will affect him the most. He seemed almost excited as he said yes. I had to remind him that they may not want to have anything to do with him. He's convinced though that he'll have four more people to play football with.

The littler cherubs weren't quite as excited but seem OK with the idea.

Mr. Amazing and I weighed out the pros and cons and couldn't come up with anything too negative. So, we agreed to say yes.

Their foster mom nearly jumped with excitement on the other end of the phone when I called her with the news. From what I could gather, she hasn't had time alone with her husband and their two bio-kids in over two years. This is a well needed (and well deserved) break!! I'm glad we are able to help.

So now I get to do a quick "nest" to get the house ready. It looks like I've got to put away all the empty Christmas decoration boxes that are currently scattered all over our guest room. And I've got to get the clean sheets back on all the beds. So much for that pregnant feeling. The kids are coming.

2 comments:

MamaFoster said...

Holy cow. you are brave and slightly crazy women :)

that is why i love you. thanks for saying yes, I am sure that foster mom needed it and wasn't feeling very hopeful :)

jendoop said...

Holy Cow was my thought too! Good luck with everything!