Thursday, December 23, 2010

The house I've always wanted

It was a good day today!

I had six kids at my breakfast table. Pancakes and sausage.

A couple more came over on and off in the morning.

I had eight kids for lunch. Sandwiches and chips.

More kids in and out all afternoon. Video games. TV. Dart guns. Coloring. All the good stuff.

I had seven kids around the dinner table with my hubby. Chicken fajita spread with all the fixins.

All I've ever wanted was to be "that house". The house kids wanted to come to. Yes, there were more video games this week than normal. Kids stayed up later than normal. (They had fun watching the lunar eclipse.) Yesterday we went to the roller rink with a van full. And the TV ran way more all week long than it usually does. But it is Christmas break. And it was a lot of fun.

The two boys we did respite for this week have gone back to their foster home. Cherubs 2 and 3 are actually in bed on time. And, Lord willing, Cherub 1 will come back home on time tonight so he can start catching up on sleep too.

We road the anxiety roller coaster. TT got nervous three days before the boys came. Then he was nervous after they got here. Then, this morning, he freaked out because they were going to be leaving. But he learned he can do this. He can be a foster brother.

Bart is terrific therapy for everyone. The two boys here on respite were worshiped during their entire visit.

And Herman got to make a couple new friends. He opened his social circle up to include two kids that needed something to do for a week. He shared everything he owned with a smile on his face. I'm really proud of that kid.

And me - I got to have the house I've always wanted. I got to love on a whole neighborhood of kids all week long. It's kept me from feeling horribly homesick with the rest of my family so far, far away. I even managed to handle wearing shorts and turning on the air conditioning as the temps reached 85° and higher without going completely insane. And, whew, my cooking isn't as "nasty" as our last group of guests insisted on. Nothing like a houseful of teenage boys to make you feel good about your cooking!

It was a good day today! I'm thoroughly blessed! And I'm ready for that next phone call. Somewhere, a child is hurting and needs a safe place to call home for awhile. Our home can be that place.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I just adore you. So glad that you got the great week you desperately needed.

noisycolorfullively said...

I want to hang out at your place. Sounds like fun! And...all I want for Christmas is 85 degree temps. That would be heaven!

MamaFoster said...

that is awesome :)

jendoop said...

It all sounds so nice, especially the food and 85 degrees! So glad you are the type of person that finds joy in this, not frustration.

Merry Christmas!

Mary said...

Someday I want to have "that house" too!