Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dentists, The System & Court

Pumpkin hates all doctors. And Pumpkin hates the dentist. I now have the pleasure of using the referral from yesterday's dentist appointment to go visit a pediatric dentist. When that visit most undoubtedly fails (due to writhing, screaming and the like) an appointment will be scheduled to do x-rays and restorative work in an operating room setting under sedation.

Let's just hope that when that time comes CPS approves the procedure. Because despite the fact that a tooth right in the front of Pumpkin's mouth is practically rotted away, CPS still has to approve any kind of restorative work. Especially if it requires sedation.

I'm not saying this to complain. Just explaining the system to anyone that isn't familiar. When you're a foster parent....basically you're just a glorified babysitter. Don't go into this thinking you have rights. Or that you get to make any kind of decision for the child. You don't! And, by and large, I understand why. I can't say I'm thrilled with the system. There is a lot that is really messed up. But I do understand how it got this way.

Pumpkin hasn't had a visit with her mom yet. The CPS investigative worker got it approved by her supervisor. But, I'm assuming, she couldn't locate anyone to actually supervise the visit in their office. Of course I never got a call back letting me know this. But, I am thankful that the SW called me to see if a visit worked with my schedule. I just have to pray that the new worker (when this moves from "investigation" to whatever the title is of the SW that handles the case after investigation) is as thoughtful!!

We have court today at 2:00. I'm sure it will elevate Pumpkin's stress level significantly! She's not going to understand at all why she gets to see her mommy but why she doesn't get to go home. I'm praying that her lawyer and GAL take the medical neglect seriously and that they do a little investigation as to the scars and permanent bruising on Cheerios' back. It's out of my hands though. So, I'm just praying and praying and praying.

3 comments:

Our Journey said...

Praying for you as you go to court! Do you have to take her? That might be really confusing for her especially because of her delays. I hope that all gets approved for the dental work too!

noisycolorfullively said...

Oy! The system is confusing, but as you say, it's easy to see how it gets this way.

Do you have to take that child to court?! I understand older kids, and kids who can articulate going, but small children, never! I've taken infants before, at the request of the judge to lay eyes on the child, but never toddlers or young children.

I pray it all works out. I pray you get a good worker. I pray little Cheerios continues to find healing and love !

noisycolorfullively said...

Oy! The system is confusing, but as you say, it's easy to see how it gets this way.

Do you have to take that child to court?! I understand older kids, and kids who can articulate going, but small children, never! I've taken infants before, at the request of the judge to lay eyes on the child, but never toddlers or young children.

I pray it all works out. I pray you get a good worker. I pray little Cheerios continues to find healing and love !