Sunday, January 2, 2011

Second Placement

Got a phone call this morning.

Five year old girl. Found wandering the streets. Mother arrested for intoxication.

At first, I said no. The intake worker said the little girl is non-verbal and has a limp. She used to have seizures but has been free of those for a long time. Mainly, I was concerned that she wouldn't even understand English. Given where we live, that's a very valid concern! They called me back and said that the mom speaks good English. So, I said yes.

They left out a pretty big detail though that I didn't find out until everyone arrived at my house this morning. She's still in diapers.

I'm trying to not jump to too many conclusions. However, if I had to guess right now, I'd say that we're talking more than just a few developmental delays!!

The police found her at midnight. CPS got the call at 2:00AM. The little girl ate a snack at 2:00 but has been sleeping ever since. Even when they brought her into my living room all she did was wake up for about 30 seconds, cry out "Mommy" a couple times, and then fell back asleep. Something's just not right with that. I know that all children respond to trauma differently. But my gut says something just isn't quite right.

I've already been pretty clear with all the workers involved. We didn't sign on for major medical issues. That kind of fostering just isn't the best fit for our family.  These emergency placements sure are interesting!

3 comments:

noisycolorfullively said...

Ohhh... I hope you find out more. I hope it all works out! Keep us posted!!!

Our Journey said...

Praying for you as you follow God on this one! It sounds like there is a lot going on with her.

MamaFoster said...

crazy!!! you gotta love the details left out of that...and i was upset that my 2 1/2 yr old i just got wasn't potty trained ;)


keep us posted!