Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Special Ed homework continued...

Yesterday, I put a note at the top of Pumpkin's homework page that simply stated, "Pumpkin is not capable of doing any of this homework assignment. As an alternative, I do read to her every day."

Today I got a note back on the sheet that read, "I attached an assignment more appropriate. Pumpkin can still color this page. I wanted to expose her to numbers. Thanks! Mrs. DB"

Really?!

Expose her to numbers?!

Really?!

OK - I've got to climb up on my soapbox here........

Neurotypical children (in general) don't learn a damn thing from worksheets! Worksheets exist to simply determine whether or not a child has mastered a subject. By and large, they are something like a quiz or test. There's no "learning" involved! You can either do them or you can't.

So...let's cover this again. Pumpkin CAN'T.

The "more appropriate" sheet instructed Pumpkin to put polka dots on a picture of a dress. The other side of the page instructed her to finish coloring in the bunch of grapes by drawing circles.

I'll slow this down a bit in case you missed it...
P  u  m  p  k  i  n    c  a  n  n  o  t    u  n  d  e  r  s  t  a  n  d    t  h  i  s.

She has shown progress since coming to my home. She can now identify a bunny along with the kitty, puppy, butterfly and chicken that she already knew. Does she know any other animals? No. Can she say any animal sounds? No. Can she identify any colors? No. Can she identify any shapes? No. Will she name any body parts for you? No.

When it comes to coloring, she can't use a three fingered grasp yet. She holds crayons, pencils, markers, etc. with a fist grip and she just plain scribbles. She isn't aware of the lines of which she's "supposed to" stay inside.

Needless to say, this is a fight I'm not going to participate in. (Love and Logic taught me that I don't have to attend every argument that I'm invited to.) I gave Pumpkin her snack up at the table. When she was finished I handed her a few crayons and the worksheets. I made sure that Pumpkin scribbled something on each page. Then I let her get down to go play with the toys.

....sigh...

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

You're not irritated, are you? =) Since I share pretty much every single opinion you stated, you can guess how I feel about this one.

noisycolorfullively said...

I'm sure it's not because it's at your table, but I find this anecdote rather comical.

For what it's worth, I think you handled it beautifully. Keep at it mama!

jendoop said...

Don't get too frustrated, remember that the teacher works in "the system" too. She is required to do all sorts of things that don't necessarily make sense. I would bet that she's thrilled that Pumpkin made a mark on the paper and that you made any kind of an effort for her.

MamaFoster said...

hey, that is what i would do and that is what the teacher needs to see...what she IS capable of.