Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'll never get used to this

Two beautiful children joined our family last night. They're only staying until Saturday. But they're here nevertheless.

Maybe it's how they do things down here. (The culture where I live is TOTALLY different than anything I've ever experienced!) Maybe I'm reading too much into things. But I was really taken aback by the drop-off process.

I think the only reason the foster family walked the children up to the door was because they were helping carry the car seat for the baby. I'm not even sure they said goodbye to the kids.

These children have been in their home for 7 months! I couldn't imagine treating a child like that. The transitions have got to be scary as hell for the kids! A hug and a goodbye sure would have been nice.

The foster mom was kind enough to offer to go get some additional groceries. It wasn't necessary though. I've got plenty of food in the house. I also told them that I had sippy cups. So, I took the paperwork and the parents went on their merry way.

I didn't check the kids' things before their foster family left. I just assume that kids that have been in care for awhile will come with what they need for a few days of respite. So many items were missing in their suitcases though. And I know - maybe I'm being too judgmental.  But there were no diaper wipes. (Thankfully I have plenty of those!) No toothbrushes. No pajamas for the 2 year old. No hairbrush for the 6 year old.

I keep a closet stocked with toothbrushes. Each child got a new one last night. The little girl will have to borrow Pumpkin's hairbrush. And I just slept the baby in his t-shirt.

My heart breaks for children in state care all over this country. This is powerful stuff. I'm never going to get used to what it feels like when children are dropped off at my house.

4 comments:

noisycolorfullively said...

This stuff drives me bananas. When a child's in my home, they're mine. And I couldn't imagine a drop and run. Sheesh!

Glad you're there to love 'em. Even if it's only for a few days!

jendoop said...

I wish there were a way to make sure that all children have a great foster home like yours. It's really hard not to judge another foster parent when you take on the child that has been with them. I'm worried about the home our foster son will go to after us, I'm told that they only speak Spanish and their son translates for them.

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

I just don’t understand how the system treats children. I don’t drop off kids I babysit without a hug and a kiss. And I am the “stranger” and they are going “home”, I treat all of the kids I deal with like they are my own, like they belong to me. Maybe that is from so many years of being on the other end, while I was in the system. Still it is such a shame that there aren’t more good foster parents out there.

MamaFoster said...

it is so sad. there is a reason "foster parents" have such a bad reputation. it really stink too when you are a good one and feel like you are lumped in with the bad ones.