Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Foster care in the courts

I knew something had happened.

Rules are changing. Our agency social worker is double checking more and more things in our home. They are cracking down on standards. (For example, the box we use to lock up medication has two separate combination locks on the outside of it but now that is no longer considered "double locked" and we have to find a cupboard or a closet to lock our medication box in.)

Now I know why.

I'm not sure what we're going to do. I think I can handle most of the changes because they aren't really changes for us. Our home already met the minimum standards without problems. My only issue will be if those minimum standards change. Mr. Amazing went to a training session tonight without me. Something was mentioned about us having to lock up all our kitchen knives. (I'm going to have to get the full story from our worker tomorrow when she comes for our home visit.) Honestly, I don't think I can live my life that way. I'm too free-range. For example, I want my kids to be able to cut up an apple on their own. They also said that we have to check on Pumpkin twice a night. I'm going to be honest here. I'm NOT setting an alarm to get up in the middle of the night to check on her. If looking in about 1/2 an hour after I put her down and then again 2 hours later doesn't cut it - I'm not sure I can live up to the rules.

We've already been told that our agency director is going to be joining our agency worker on the home visits. Tonight my hubby was told to expect visits from the state licensing agency. I guess it's good that they are double checking things. But I'm not a fan of being made to feel like I'm a bad guy.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh holy Hell. I suppose it's good that it least you know where this is coming from.

jendoop said...

I'm sorry that it makes it harder for good people like you to foster, but I'm glad that someone is pushing for accountability!!! Send that NY group to PA! (We don't have to double lock our meds or our knives.)

noisycolorfullively said...

Infuriating. There are so many foolish rules that don't do anything. Bureaucratic crap. I hope it all more talk than anything.

MamaFoster said...

holy cow, it will be interesting to see how this all goes...