Thursday, April 7, 2011

Minimum standards

Our agency worker messaged me yesterday that she couldn't come to the home visit as was previously scheduled. This didn't bother me except for the fact that I just had to know about the whole kitchen knife thing. I couldn't stop thinking about it. And really, it seems so minor when it's all out in writing like this. Honestly - locking up my knives shouldn't be that big of a deal. But I already feel so intruded upon by CPS and all the minimum standards that I wasn't sure I would be able to take much more.

Yes, there are foster families that need to lock up their knives. Some foster kids are "cutters". Others have suffered through so much abuse that they themselves are abusers. Having knives at easy access just isn't smart in homes like that.

But we aren't a foster home that takes in kids with those kinds of troubles. We have three children of our own and I have to keep them safe as well. I don't need to lock up my knives.

So I emailed our worker back to get the details.

She emailed me back to let me know that the minimum standards haven't changed. I don't have to lock up my knives. They are just advising some families to keep in mind that it might be necessary if the kids they take in are a danger to themselves or others.

Whew!

Our worker also told me that the way I'm checking on Pumpkin at nighttime is just fine. In fact, they will be rewriting the Individual Service Plan at the end of this month to say that checking on her one time at night is fine.

Whew!

So, I put a call in to CPS to find out the scoop on our medicine box. They put me in touch with our worker there. She's seen my medicine box. But I'm sure due to her caseload and the fact this is a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, she didn't remember it at all. I explained what it looks like and how it functions. Ya know, that it has two separate combination locks on the outside of the box. I told her that if I have to, I will locate a place where I can lock this box up at. But, before I rearrange my house and complicate my morning routine, I want someone to explain to me WHY my box isn't considered double locked. She said she'll look at things when she comes for her home visit sometime next week.

Thankfully, I can now put these issues out of my brain for awhile. Whew!

No comments: