Thursday, May 5, 2011

More minimum standard issues

I've got about three different posts rolling through my brain. I can't seem to stay focused long enough though to make a single blog post that doesn't ramble on and on. So, while I try to sort through my own thoughts, I figured I'd ask a question...what kinds of minimum standards do YOU have to deal with? I don't mean the ones that make sense (like providing enough clothes or keeping a clean house). But I'm curious about the odd ones or the ones that make things more challenging to maintain a "normal" family. (Locking up the dishwasher detergent. And no, I don't mean putting a child lock on your cabinet. I mean keeping the dishwasher detergent under lock and key.)

Our state is in the middle of a lawsuit now. To make a very long story short, some kids got hurt in foster care. Horrible horrible horrible stuff that never should have happened did. Our state is responding by adding mandatory trainings for all foster families.

I found out TODAY that my husband and I have to attend nine hours (five separate classes) of training over the next three weeks. Most of them are being offered twice. The discipline class is being offered three times. It's going to be a bit difficult to coordinate this into my already packed schedule! I don't have a problem with mandatory trainings. Honest. I don't. However, I do have a serious problem with being told I have to drop absolutely everything with little time to plan so I can attend five different training sessions in such a sort amount of time.

I learned today that there are still a few places in our home that don't meet minimum standards. I find this interesting as I've had TONS of social workers in my home. I've even been under investigation once and had a walk-through from a licensing worker. Nevertheless, I dropped $100 on two more lock boxes so I can lock up even more things. <<sigh>>

1 comment:

Tammy (aka. "Mimi") said...

My personal favorite for ridiculous Minimum Standards is "A clean towel and handsoap must be 'readily available' for childrens' use." Followed by "Handsoap must be stored out of reach of children." F'real?!? I'm ALL OVER THAT ONE, CPS lady! Sometimes I think they're all trippin'.