Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day with 6 kids

I birthed the 14 year old, Herman. He's mad at me right now. I wouldn't let him go to the skate rink last night with his friends. He's been tired, belligerent and all around obnoxious lately. He's such a teenager!! But oh, how I love that kid!

I adopted the 7 year old, TT. He's intelligent, thoughtful, and a wonderful part of our family that I can't imagine being without. Oh how I love that kid!

The 6 year old, Bart, came from me. He's the happiest person I've ever met (except when he's ticked off -- then...oh then...he's nasty). But 99% of the time he just bubbles over with a contagious excitement that makes me smile. Oh how I love that kid!

The 5 year old girl, Pumpkin,  has been living with me since January 2nd. I've had to learn to love her. And it hasn't been easy. She's severely mentally retarded and it's difficult to make a connection with a kid that can't communicate. But, she's found a place in my heart. And I do love that kid.

The 5 year old boy, Cashew, came into my home Friday night. He's leaving this afternoon so this is just a small stamp on my life's story. He doesn't speak English. Yesterday, he got sick and puked all over everything. That's quite an experience to stretch my mothering skills. I had to go across the street to get a neighbor to translate so that the little guy would understand why I wasn't going to feed him a full supper. The last thing I wanted was this poor dear to think was that I was refusing him food because I wanted to hurt him. I'm not sure he understood but I did the best I could. And when he asked me if I loved him at bedtime last night, I answered yes.

The 2 year old has been in my home for respite before. He's easy to care for and is generally just a happy little Peanut. He's fun to have around and I love that kid.

My house is a mess. I've got laundry everywhere. My playroom looks like a toy store puked. I'm going to chase kids all day and not worry about it too much. Maybe I'll clean this week. Maybe I won't. The next few days are filled with foster parent training, court, and kindergarten graduation.

Most of the time I don't feel equipped for this adventure. I argue with God that I'm done. That I don't have the energy to take care of all these extra kids. Then I get convicted. If not me? Who??? The need is so great and I just love how it's molding my own kids too. We are all learning compassion and patience. I'm learning to lighten up on the little things. And it's OK if I bribe my youngest cherubs with money so they will clean the playroom that Cashew completely trashed out.

Happy Mother's Day!!

2 comments:

Sunday Koffron said...

Thank you for doing what you do...Happy Mother's Day

MamaFoster said...

"Most of the time I don't feel equipped for this adventure. I argue with God that I'm done. That I don't have the energy to take care of all these extra kids. Then I get convicted. If not me? Who??? The need is so great and I just love how it's molding my own kids too."

I could start every single one of my blog pots with that paragraph. I think your awesome, and I need you to keep doing this so I have a friend suffering along with me :) j/k...kinda :)