Sunday, May 22, 2011

the super-awesome weekend was a success

We had fun! Oh did we have fun! It was a super-awesome weekend!!

It was wonderful to reconnect as just the five of us!! I enjoyed getting to play with my kids and not have to worry about "The System" watching my every move.

I know "they" aren't there all the time. But I usually do have that Big Brother sort of feeling. Especially if I do something I know they would frown on. Ya know, like let my 6yo go to the bathroom by himself or my 14yo take off to ride a ride alone. Voluntarily putting my family so close to a system that subscribes to rules I don't always agree with keeps things very interesting in my brain.

We are home now. I will go to pick up Pumpkin in about 5 hours. I'm going to relax now for a few. Feed some junk food for supper. Probably fry our brains on mindless television. Tuck my cherubs into bed and then go get Pumpkin. Lord willing I'll maintain this level of relaxation for another day or two. Despite all the hassle and stress it took to make this weekend happen, it was worth it all!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yay!!! Was thinking about you and wondering how it all went. Glad you had a great time!

jendoop said...

I'm so happy for your good family weekend. You need those times!

I understand what you mean about feeling that Big Brother is watching you. Anything could spring up that you have to report - a fall that could result in a bruise, a comment about their abuse, or even comments about not liking your home. Regretfully it does have to be in the back of your mind all the time. That and constant vigilance for the child, is what makes fostering so draining over the long term.