Thursday, June 16, 2011

They're still asleep

It's 9:55AM and my two new cherubs are still asleep.

They cried for nearly two hours last night when I tried to put them to bed.

They don't speak English.

(And yes, I made sure to tell every single adult involved yesterday that English speaking children is a REQUIREMENT in my home. I even went on to clarify that the children must be able to SPEAK English -- NOT just "understand" it.)

I'm hoping that perhaps they speak a little English and that the Spanish only vocabulary was due to the trauma of removal. However, if we don't reach a comfortable level of communication within a short amount of time, this placement will not be a good fit. (It's more than difficult for me and it's TOTALLY not fair to the children!!)

I'm still trying to think of good blog names for the cherubs. For now though, I can tell you it's a 3.5 year old little girl and a 2.5 year old little boy. They came from a neglectful environment riddled with drugs and alcohol. CPS has been "involved" in their family but they were just "working with" Mom up until yesterday. The surprise visit yesterday morning revealed a very unsafe situation and resulted in an official removal.

I'm going to let them sleep for awhile longer. I have a feeling that not only are they tired from all the trauma of yesterday. But, they are probably used to keeping a slightly (cough) unconventional schedule. (Children that live in hotels don't usually keep the same kinds of routines as what I try to maintain.)

Their clothes have been washed and counted. My cherubs have been lectured talked to about how they are going to have to help out more. I think I'm as ready as I'm gonna be.

Pray for me!!

3 comments:

Sunday Koffron said...

Praying...for you and them...

jendoop said...

I absolutely agree with your decision about this placement. It's not right for anyone to be in that situation!!

MamaFoster said...

uggghhh love that they listened so well about the english speaking requirement.


i bet they think because they are so young it doesn't matter.