Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More vacation drama

Dude and Dolly were supposed to have a visit today.

No one knows where Mom is. She didn't show.

I can't begin to describe how I feel.

The closest thing I can think of to describe it is physically ill.

Their CPS worker just happened to be in the office as we were there waiting for the visit. I very politely begged her to let us take the children with us on vacation. She beat around the bush telling me that she just got the case. The judge already said no. And other worthless excuses.

But I could tell she was warming up to the idea, so I didn't back down. She admitted that she has to go in front of a judge tomorrow to get paperwork signed allowing Dolly to have the dental surgery that she needs. I begged her to ask the judge again.

As we left the CPS office I called our agency. Our worker there said that she would write a letter for CPS to present to the judge. She recommended that I write one as well.

I'm praying tomorrow that the best interests of the children will be taken into consideration. This is what I sent:

_________

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

To Whom It May Concern:

My husband and I are requesting that our two foster children, Dude and Dolly, be allowed to go on vacation with us starting July 30, 2011. We will be driving from our home in E***, Texas to visit our families in Iowa. We will be returning to E*** on August 17, 2011.

The bulk of our time will be spent staying at my parents’ home in P***C***, Iowa. My parents have already passed their FBI fingerprint screenings and full background checks. The first five days after we arrive the children will be participating in Cousins Camp. All of the cousins on my side of the family will be coming to Grandma & Grandpa’s for a full camp experience that includes activities like swimming, a trip to the zoo, picnics, art projects, cooking, and more.

On the 10th of August we will be driving to C***R***, Iowa to visit my husband’s family. We will be staying in a hotel for two nights. We will be visiting with family and attending the party for my brother-in-law who is returning from a tour of duty in Afghanistan at that time.

On August 16th our entire family will be attending the Iowa State Fair. The next day we will leave for Texas.

We fully support family reunification for Dude and Dolly. That’s why when our request for the children to go on vacation with us was originally turned down, we understood. However, their mother has not been making attempts to see the children since they entered care. The only contact they had was when Mom attended court on July 11. She has not been in contact with the CPS worker. She has also missed all of the scheduled visits.

Dude and Dolly are very young. They have a limited understanding of what has happened to them. They have bonded with us as a family though. They are familiar with our expectations and routines. So while they will miss out on any opportunities to see their mother while they are away with us, we feel it is in their best interests to stay with what is familiar instead of being placed in respite with strangers.

We will do whatever it takes to assure the court of our return. We continue to support family reunification. If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact me directly. I thank you for your consideration!

Cherub Mamma
###.###.####

2 comments:

MamaFoster said...

good luck, they make it sound like it is easy to take kids on vacation when you are in training...what a joke!

jendoop said...

It's a great letter. If things don't work out please realize that you have done everything you can to make it work.

(It sounds like you'll be close by during your visit, we live in A*****!)