Thursday, August 25, 2011

Family visits

Due to budget cuts and other garbage like that...all visits in the area of Texas where I live are being changed to ONE hour only ONE time a month!!

I can't begin to explain how wrong that is. Families that are working on reunification need more than one hour of contact a month. My Pumpkin will become horribly upset when this happens. She noticed when visits were taken from two times a week down to only one time a week. She became noticeably anxious every afternoon – especially if someone needed to leave the house to run an errand. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for her to only see her mom once a month for one hour. It's soooooo not fair!

I'm in the process of trying to get permission to supervise visits outside of the "official" schedule. Originally I had been told that my agency doesn't allow this. However, I'm going to push for permission. I'm not in a position to supervise visits outside my home multiple times a week. I'm not even sure I can do once a week consistently. (I don't have that much free time to sit around watching Pumpkin and her mom.) But I'm going to try. Mr. Amazing and I are in agreement that it would be best for Pumpkin. The relationship we have with Pumpkin's mom has been pretty good lately. In fact, Mom did very good last night with Pumpkin at the doctor's office and that's usually a scenario that Mom complicates by getting Pumpkin all worked up.

I'm waiting to hear back from my agency. From there I have to clear things with CPS. I'm sure it will have to be in writing and be all formal and official and involve way too much paperwork. But for Pete's sake -- the kids deserve it.

2 comments:

jendoop said...

The lack of money is making an already incompetent system worse. Just today a fellow foster mom is sending a 3 month old home to their parent who has NOT complied with all court orders. The case worker told her that it's a money issue, nothing more.

This is ridiculous. At some point the ACLU or someone has to step in to ensure the rights of children. We as foster parents can't do it because we're tied by HIPPA. Which protects the government far more than it protects children in foster care.

You're great for being willing to supervise the visits, because you're probably right it is better. So are children supposed to go from seeing their parent once a month to living with them full time? No transition?

MamaFoster said...

ughh. that sounds interesting.