Friday, February 24, 2012

Decision Time

Bluebell (Pumpkin's CPS worker) came this afternoon for her monthly visit. Other than having to document the fact that Pumpkin split open her lip last night when she fell after her bath and hit the counter – the visit was a short one. We had very little to cover as nothing has changed in Pumpkin's case. Pumpkin is going to have a visit with her uncle next month that I will supervise. And things will (hopefully) progress from there. We are all hopeful that the judge will approve the transfer to the uncle's house after court in April.

Before Bluebell left though, she asked if I had any questions. I said I did...but that they were about Dude and Dolly's case. I wanted to pick her brain. I completely understood if she was busy or didn't want to. But...if she was willing, I really wanted another worker's take on things.

Bluebell said she'd chat, no problem. We went to the kitchen to discuss things away from the cherubs.

I spelled out everything that has happened in the case. I expressed my concern over Grandma "wanting" the kids but not having ANY kind of a relationship with them.

Bluebell informed me that placement with Grandma, given these circumstances, is AGAINST State policy. Policy says that the person needs to have a "significant relationship" with the child – even if it's a blood relative.

This is where it got interesting. Bluebell recommends that we:

 1. Get our own lawyer. We need to do this before we say anything officially to CPS. We need to do this so that CPS doesn't get "offended" and decide they want to move the kids. When I told her who the supervisor over Jasmine is, she made it very clear again that we need to get a lawyer first. I guess the supervisor over this case is a real peace of work!!

2. File a formal complaint against DFPS. They are not following their own policies and we can complain. She told me where to go on the website and everything.

I asked Bluebell if she knew of a lawyer to recommend. She does – but wasn't sure if said lawyer would be able to represent us in our county as she is located one county over. I tried to call the law office after Bluebell left but no one answered. I have to assume they were gone for the weekend.

I called Mr. Amazing to let him know what Bluebell recommended. He had a 1/2 hour left on his commute home today so he's got a bit of time to think about things.

I have NO IDEA what we're going to do. I don't know if we're in a place where we want to hire a lawyer to potentially be chasing rainbows. On paper, this case doesn't look that messy. CPS needs to tie up some loose ends and it's quite common to place children with grandparents. Grandma hasn't ever hurt these children so it's not unreasonable for the placement to happen. And Bluebell was quick to tell me that the judge down here doesn't like it when people intervene in CPS cases.

But I do want what is best for these two beautiful children. And since no family members are able to step up and come forward for these kids except a grandma that isn't really that interested, I think we are what's best for these two beautiful children.

I'm asking for prayer for our family. We need to make the wise choice for our family and for these children. If doors open, I guess we'll walk through. We just have to know what doors to approach first.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow. That's a huge decision. I'll be praying that God makes His will clear to you.

Teresa said...

I'm definitely praying for you and this situation. I've been following your updates with baited breath because we are in the exact same position with my 4. We go back to court in May and it's so up in the air as to what will happen. I've been very seriously considering a lawyer, but I don't know if that will help or make us look like we're not willing to partner with the county. Praying for clarity and peace in your decision.

CherubMamma said...

@Teresa - That is precisely why I jumped at the chance to grill a CPS worker that wasn't involved in the case. I truly wanted her opinion. And that was the first thing I asked her, "would it totally tick you off if this was your case and we intervened?"

We too go back to court in May. But I think we've got to decide NOW if we're going to intervene or not.

Bluebell also let me know that even if all we were able to get first go-round is permanent guardianship, after 6 months of that (at least where we live) we can petition the courts ourselves for termination.

I've been following your case closely as well. I hope you get the answers you need too!

Jennifer said...

I will definitely be praying for you. Our friends are in a very similar situation- they got a lawyer a couple of months ago, but the lawyer has been giving them advice behind the scenes. CPS doesn't even know that they have a lawyer yet. She said that is better because you getting a lawyer can make CPS mad. So, she will just now be filing a suit against the state for my friends. But even before she did that, having her counsel was a huge benefit to my friends.

MamaFoster said...

I will be interested to see what happens. My husband and I have always decided against a lawyer but I know one fost mom who hired a lawyer and was able to adopt both of her foster kids, separate situations I might add, and always suggests that other foster parents do the same. I think she may be in the same state as u as well.....

Mama P said...

Oh my gosh! I just got a little butterflyish!

Crazy things happening lately, it seems!

Mie said...

I will totally be praying for you. I've had similar reactions with caseworkers from different units - where they react just hearing the unit number or the name of the supervisor like "oh, that explains it". So frustrating - if everyone knows it's a problem why don't they fix it?

Here's to clear direction!

Mie said...

I will totally be praying for you. I've had similar reactions with caseworkers from different units - where they react just hearing the unit number or the name of the supervisor like "oh, that explains it". So frustrating - if everyone knows it's a problem why don't they fix it?

Here's to clear direction!

noisycolorfullively said...

Late to playing catch-up... Still praying!!!