Monday, February 13, 2012

Oh holy potatoes!!

Stupid title. But I can barely think straight!

My cherubs are going to be hanging out at our house for another three months.

I really know NOTHING. I believe the lawyer was able to draw things out because CPS neglected to take care of some paternity things. The bio dad is completely out of the picture. But there is still paperwork to be filed and, I believe, a genetic test to be done.

I'm not going to know the real intentions until I get to speak with the lawyer. I didn't get to go into the courtroom yet again. In fact, they had removed all but 2 chairs in the waiting area so I spent the entire time at court sitting on the floor with very nervous children. About 20 minutes after when our case was to be called, the lawyer stepped out of the courtroom and said that the next hearing would be in May. I was to make sure I brought the children with me then.

My jaw dropped. My eyes bugged out. She indicated that she wasn't going to discuss the case in front of the others waiting in the room. I am to call her.

I will be calling first thing in the morning!!

I got to meet a relative of Dude and Dolly that really impressed me today. Their maternal great-grandma is a neat lady! She and one of her sons came to the hearing today. We exchanged phone numbers. I hope to be able to talk to her about the cherub's history.

I can't wait to talk to the lawyer. I want to know what her intentions are. And then I may need to start getting my own legal ducks in a row. Boy this foster parenting stuff is a trip!!

9 comments:

Mitzy said...

Wow! I don't know what else to say. I guess it ain't over till it's over?!

Mie said...

Crazy - So if my experience is anything they will be doing the termination of rights on that date. Question is, then what are they planning?

I thought it was so odd that our girl had to attend the TPR hearing. She was 1 year old.

Jennifer said...

Yay! I've been praying today!

MamaFoster said...

wow! can't wait to hear what the lawyer says...Lizzy lawyer was truly her only saving grace! (Besides a GOD that knew right where HE wanted her ;) )

Jennifer said...

And what is the deal with bringing the kids to court? Are you required to do that? We never have to do that.

The Campbell's Journey said...

I just read your post from yesterday about having a "peace" regarding today. Isn't that awesome! God is good - All The Time! He is the only one who can hold us together on this crazy ride we call foster care! Praying for you. Living in limbo stinks. These babies, though, are worth every minute of it!

Tammy (aka. "Mimi") said...

GoodNESS! I can't wait to hear the story on this one!

It's so strange to me that you are required to bring all of these kids to court, but then not allowed in the courtroom! I think we're in the same state, and I attend all of the hearings that I know about (half of the time, no one bothers to tell me when they are!), and always sit in the courtroom so I can hear the case being presented. I have RARELY seen a child at the courthouse. I guess it's just how different counties handle their cases.

I'm SO GLAD you have a few more months to get a gameplan going and to fight for these kiddos. I just hate to see them moved to a grandmother who clearly has no interest in getting to know them.

CherubMamma said...

@Jennifer - I live in Texas. According to Texas law, all children over the age of four are to attend court. Read Mimi's comment tho and you'll see that things are definitely done differently across the state. Where I'm at there is (I believe) only one judge over several counties. This particular judge requires ALL children attend EVERY hearing. I've been told that they even have to fly kids in from out of state if they are staying with relatives elsewhere. Court is always one hot mess. The kids have to be there. But they rarely go in before the judge. Often, they are excused before things start. Or, like what happened to us, we sit outside the courtroom and hear choppy results when things are said and done.

I'll let y'all know what I find out from the lawyer. I'm as curious as the rest of you!!

Carrie said...

So glad to hear this good news!!