Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Too Attached

I don't run a hotel.
The children that live in my home are PART of my family.
They aren't extras.
They aren't second best.
They are my children!

Yes – I have to share them with their bio family. I have to share them with social workers. I have to share them with the State.

But as far as I'm concerned, they are my family. So attachment is going to happen.

It has to happen. Attachment is necessary.

How many people have heard of attachment disorders?! Do these social workers understand what happens to kids with attachment disorders?!

It's my JOB to attach to these children. Because a broken attachment is better than no attachment at all.

These children need to know that they are important. That they are loved. That they are special. That they deserve good things.

They only learn these things when they are attached to their caregivers.

So y'all are right. Any worker that says we are "too attached" needs a serious Come to Jesus moment!

For now though, I'm just waiting to hear back from the lawyer I called yesterday. One step at a time. One tiny, tiny step. But someone has to fight for these children to be able to grow up in a loving and safe environment. And that someone is me!

6 comments:

theculbertsons05 said...

AMEN!

Mitzy said...

hear! hear!

noisycolorfullively said...

AMEN! Do these kids have a CASA? You can request one if they don't.

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm

If you request one, you shouldn't be denied. This is just one more person to stand on the side of the kids.

Mie said...

OOOH...I didn't know you could request a CASA! That is a GREAT idea!

CherubMamma said...

Requesting a CASA sounds great on paper. However, I've met several from CASA because of Pumpkin. And frankly, I'm not impressed. The volunteers NEVER come to the home. (They are supposed to come monthly.) The supervisor is great and all. But she's overworked and understaffed and isn't able to do much of anything.

I think my only hope is a lawyer for us. I'm still waiting for the law office I called yesterday to call me back.

Damn I hate waiting!!!

MamaFoster said...

Amen.