Sunday, February 12, 2012

When it rains...it pours

Here's a random post where I whine and complain....

I've got a lot of work to get done right now. My freelancing business is usually pretty flexible, but I've got a couple jobs that I need to get turned ASAP.

I bought a new computer months ago. I bought all the new software I need a couple weeks ago. Last weekend I moved all my data over to my external hard drive. I figured that would be the easiest way to move info from one computer to the other. In fact, I was considering working off my external hard drive so that I could seamlessly work between my desktop and my laptop.

Yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to finally get my new system up and running.

Yesterday I accidentally destroyed all the data on my external hard drive.

It's grey and raining. Everyone is cooped up in the house. An underlying tension fills the air. No one is really looking forward to court on Monday.

And then, to top it all off, Pumpkin is sick. She had a really strong odor to her urine on Friday. There were no other symptoms so I figured I'd just monitor things for a day or so. As the day went on yesterday, she seemed less and less "normal". Of course, Pumpkin isn't verbal so she didn't/couldn't tell me what was wrong. Because of the odor, I assumed she had either a yeast infection or a possible UTI. When I bent down to kiss her as I was giving her her medicine after supper she felt a little warm to me. I took her temp and determined that she did in fact have a very low grade temp. VERY low grade.

But with Pumpkin's underlying medical condition, and the fact that we do have court on Monday, I didn't want to wait any longer. I kissed the rest of the cherubs goodbye and left Mr. Amazing to hold down the fort. Pumpkin and I went to a clinic across town.

We got there at 7:15PM. At just before midnight I found out that Pumpkin had strep throat.

I'm now waiting for a program to try and read my hard drive to see if it can recover any of the lost data. I'd like to avoid re-doing all the work I did last week. Unfortunately, this means I can't work on any of my current jobs that are due.

I also got to spend the afternoon at the doctor office again. As ridiculous as it sounded to me, we had to have a follow up appointment today – less than 24 hours after she got the diagnosis – only 2 hours after she started the antibiotic. Thankfully that appointment went faster and we were only out a little over an hour. Pumpkin's blood count looks better today than it did last night.

I'm antsy. I want to be DOING something!! I can't work. I can't even mess with photos and get Dude and Dolly's picture books ready. I guess maybe I should go tackle the laundry I constantly avoid.

Court is tomorrow at 1:30. I have to leave at 10:00AM. It will take an hour to get to where we need to go. Dude and Dolly are scheduled to have a visit with Grandma from 11:00 to 12:00. Then we will break for lunch. (Won't that be awkward. Do I invite Grandma to come with us? Do we go our separate ways? Acckkkk!)

Prayers are appreciated. I have a real peace about all that tomorrow is going to bring. Part of that peace comes from knowing the lawyer thinks similarly to me. Even if she's not able to come up with a legal reason for the children to not go to Grandma's – at least I will know that my feelings are valid. I also know that my peace comes from all those that are praying for me and the children. Thank you for your prayers!!

And while you're tossing another one up – feel free to pray for my computer too.  :)

I'll keep y'all posted. If nothing else, tomorrow is going to be interesting!

2 comments:

C Dawn's bucket said...

Check out dropbox.com for a way to easily work between computers with data. I recently used this for a major fundraiser and it was so nice to have all the info available on every computer I used.

Praying for you and the kids and all the official people involved.

I spent most of yesterday at Instacare with a child myself. So not fun.

MamaFoster said...

:/ sorry everything is falling apart...in a few days things will be different. Hopefully in a good way.