Wednesday, May 9, 2012

At least I know

The new worker over my littlest cherubs hasn't made contact with me. However, she did communicate with Rainbow from our licensing agency.

She let Rainbow know that CPS is recommending that the babies' paternal grandma be given PMC (permanent managing conservatorship). This is because the paternity test has finally been done and this woman actually is their grandmother. The grandmother has also done everything else that the court has asked of her. (Everything except start a relationship with the cherubs – but I guess that part isn't important enough for anyone to care about.) She has picked out a day care for the littles to attend while she works 10 hour days 4-5 days a week. She has listed other relatives/friends that will be her back-up support system. And she's said she wants them.

Please don't get me wrong. I fully believe that FAMILY belongs together. It pains me that these kids have been kept in foster care for so long and that they've melded in to our family so tightly. If the State had done their jobs a year ago the kids could have been moved to Grandma's house back in November. Yes, that would have hurt like crazy. But I believe it would have been easier on the cherubs in the long run.

Now though... now they are a part of our family. They want to stay with us forever. Just ask them! This desire to stay in our family is not an idea I planted in their heads either. It's what they want. And they don't know their grandma at all. She is a total stranger to them. The part that pains me the most is that this grandma hasn't WANTED to even start a relationship with the babies. I can't wrap my brain around that. And the thing is, if they stay with us, they will get to continue to be a part of their first family. I would see to that. It would be incredibly important to me.

But at least I know what the State is going to propose come Monday. It's not a surprise. I don't have my hopes up. I'm praying. But not even for me really. I'm praying that the babies will make it through whatever the judge decides.

Speaking of the judge...
I just found out that he is stepping down at the end of the month. I'm not sure why or under what circumstances. I have no idea what will happen. Rainbow told me to expect a giant upheaval of the CPS system. She seems to think that many workers will quit in the midst of the change. At any rate, they will be expected to actually know their cases as they go before a brand new judge. It'll be interesting to say the least. I'm hoping the new official will involve the foster parents more in the legal process. I know that happens in some places down here. It would be nice to see things change for the better!!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

This is beyond comprehension, isn't it? The same thing happened to our babies. It broke my heart. Not that they were leaving, or that we were better than their grandmother, but that I wasn't sure that she even loved them. Praying for a miracle.

Jennifer said...

So sorry for you and them. I will be praying on Monday.

Mandy said...

I'm sorry things seem to be going this way. I will pray for your family and for these babies, and for a giant miracle.

fosterfull said...

I have to ask, because I wasn't reading regularly when they started investigating Grandma...

Is there any way you would consider hiring a lawyer and intervening in the case? I know some states allow this and some do not, but this kind of move this late in the game has the potential to be very harmful to these kiddos... Just a thought. I just had to put it out there.

I will say a prayer for the children, that they will be loved and protected no matter what happens.

CherubMamma said...

@fosterfull -- We looked in to intervening. Because, yes, it's totally allowable. However, after talking with several lawyers it was determined that it would cost us somewhere between $10,000-$20,000 or more. And CPS made it clear that the children would still probably end up at Grandma's anyway. I don't have that kind of money for such a gamble.

I am now praying that God will equip Grandma and that He will give the little ones peace if they have to leave. It's all I've got left. But of course, I've been in this place twice already. Back in November I was told that without a doubt the children would be leaving. Then when court rolled around in February I was told the same thing!! I'm trying to prepare my heart for either outcome. More than anything, I just want this to be over!

fosterfull said...

It is a big gamble, and I understand. I just had to ask, because nobody told us that was an option until we were pretty desperate.

God is far more capable of protecting these babies than any lawyer, and he DOES have a plan for them... And for your family.

I can certainly join you in those prayers.

fosterfull said...

...And I realize that makes it sound like we had to exercise that option. In the end, thankfully, truth won out and we did not intervene. Don't want to be misleading, and I hope you aren't offended by my asking originally.