Friday, May 25, 2012

No lawyers

Rainbow just left from a home visit. All is well and there was little to report. The youngest cherubs are still processing their incredibly confusing visit from Miss Supervisor last week. But we are all doing just fine.

We went over the details of Pumpkin's weekend visits. I've been in contact with Bluebell about this as well. I've never had a child with unsupervised weekend visits before and I don't know all the rules down here.

Bluebell said I'm not supposed to provide anything. I did have to make an exception and I told all parties involved that I will be bringing the diapers and wipes. Pumpkin gets those from Medicaid and she deserves to have ones that fit. It's senseless to ask Mom to buy any additional diapers when I have more than enough.

Rainbow is going to come with me for the drop off in about 1.5 hours. I don't want to be held responsible for making sure Mom understands all of Pumpkin's medications (she just got two new ones for a scalp infection). I'm glad I'm getting a little extra support this first time around. I'm a little "weirded out" by having to go to Pumpkin's house. (Which by the way, I don't think Pumpkin has ever been to as I'm pretty sure Mom moved since she was home last time.)

The biggest news from this home visit is about the legal system where we live. I had been told that the lawyer covering Dude & Dolly's case is no longer going to carry any cases from that county. I just assumed that a new lawyer or group of lawyers was going to be hired.

Well, it seems I was wrong. As of now, there are no lawyers in place for any of the cases in that particular county. And Rainbow said we could expect the lawyers in our home county to stop working with CPS as well.

Rainbow has NO IDEA what this really means. Who will be advocating for these children?! Will it simply be up to CPS and the judge to go back and forth?! Oh my. The thought of that scares me to death.

Rainbow said she'll keep me posted after they have court a few times next month - when I believe this whole transition will take place.

I can't wait to hear how it's going to work. Because not only will there be no lawyers, but there will be a new judge as well. I have a feeling it's going to be nothing short of a disaster.

3 comments:

The Campbell's Journey said...

Oh my! I can't even imagine living in your shoes right now. If it wasn't for the children I would probably all but give up on the "system". I don't understand how foster care can be so different from county to county and state to state. When I sit at court where we live there are so many lawyers and social workers, GAL's and others all there advocating for these kids. I admire you! You are a wonderful momma to these babies! You continue to be in my prayers.

Carrie said...

I know things are bad everywhere, but it seems especially bad where you are! Sorry. :(

MamaFoster said...

I did weekend overnight visits for probably six months, two different kids. Because of pumpkins delays I don't know what you should expect, but for us it made things very hard. I hope these are ended before school starts up again because it throws everyone off, especially the child and makes monday mornings a disaster.

The kids get all confused about what is allowed and what isn't at whose house...lots of fits. I do not miss that at all.