Thursday, August 9, 2012

School registration

I'm homeschooling "my" kids this coming year. But because we agreed that Pumpkin should come back to our house (even if it is possibly only for a month), I had to register her for school today.

The process is horrible down here. I've registered my oldest in schools in Iowa, Missouri, Utah and central Texas. Nowhere else have I ever experience this level of disorganization. It took me 3.5 hours to register Pumpkin for second grade this morning!! I had to sit through an orientation (ie: bring your kid to school on time every day). Then I had to wait until my number was called so I could go through nine stations and get my paperwork double checked. Keep in mind, Pumpkin has attended this school for kindergarten and 1st grade - nothing I filled out today was new. Registration was open for previously enrolled students today from 8:30 to 12:30. I arrived at 8:45 and was #93 in line. (I heard that some parents showed up before 7:00AM in hopes of being first in line.)

Throughout the process I had teachers approach me with, "Oh hi Cherub Mamma! How are you? How was your summer?" (all sing-songy...like they really cared...which they really don't)

It hurt to simply say, "fine".

I so wanted to scream...
"My summer totally sucked! I was falsely accused of a heinous crime and three children that call me mom were ripped out of my home. And now, the two that I would love to parent forever have to live somewhere else. But I'm just fine. F.I.N.E. fine! I'm thrilled to spend my entire morning here during one of my last free summer days registering a child that pretty much hates my guts. And shoot - I'm not even getting a per diem for this time suck! But my summer was great."

2 comments:

MamaFoster said...

Yeah. I have a hard time some days lying and saying " fine" too.

Kayla Lee said...

I just want to say that you have been inspiring and I appreciate your openess and honesty I am awaiting final approval for foster care has been a long haul since1/15/12 and 3 sets of fingerprints later. I hope i am a few weeks away. I have been blog jumping the last month and it has been very helpful I am trying to have some idea what to expect and how to set my expectation. Bless you and all you have been dealing with this summer.