Thursday, February 14, 2013

Higher standards

With the help of a friend I dug up some more information on the bio family of my cherubs in Dallas....

Great Grandma P had told me that Bio Dad's brother (Tio E) is currently running from the law. With a little digging I found his charges. They are rather substantial as well (think federal offenses).

Then I found his Facebook page. I know it's him because Tio (Uncle) E has pictures of "my" kids on his wall. I also saw multiple pictures with Tio E making a gang sign. I even saw a little cherub younger than my Dude tossing up the same gang sign.

Then I asked Dude and Dolly if this man is their tio. They confirmed that they've seen him. Then I asked if Tio E sleeps at Grandma N's house. They said yes.

When my children go to their Grandma's house once a month in Dallas they are associating with known felons. They are exposed to things that are not safe.

Rainbow called me the other day. She asked me if Dude is still having behavior problems. The conversation led itself to discussing the new information that I found out. Rainbow called Minnie's supervisor.

His response....

Foster parents are held to a higher standard than relative placements.

Even though they aren't supposed to be. Even though I had a previous person involved in this case tell me that the bio family SHOULD be held accountable for safety issues.

It just isn't a concern right now for my kids. No one but me cares if they are safe in Dallas. CPS (especially Minnie) does not give a damn. Drug users. Felons. No car seats. Neglect. Cockroaches. And many more things that I'm sure I know nothing of.....
This is what my cherubs have to look forward to if they live in Dallas forever.

Foster care sucks!

(And somehow...knowing all this...I still have to put them in Minnie's car tomorrow morning at 10:30AM so they can spend the weekend in this environment yet again.)

10 comments:

aka. Mimi said...

Ugh! That makes me want to scream!!! I know that bio families "aren't held to the same standards" as foster families, but there's a BIG difference between having some cockroaches in your house vs. HARBORING A KNOWN FUGITIVE! Drives me CRAZY that NO ONE involved in Dude and Dolly's case who is in a position to make a decision cares enough to do anything. And I'M just an outsider looking in. I can only imagine how YOU must feel! :-(

angela ford said...

isn't there someone to talk to above Minie????

CherubMamma said...

This WAS someone above Minnie. It was her supervisor. I'm not going to get any support at all from anyone in CPS. The cherubs' only hope is their guardian.

G said...

Makes me want to scream.

Your concerns are way beyond the level of "higher standards." I've heard that before, but I thought that was supposed to mean that it's ok for the family placement to have to have more kids share rooms than CPS thinks are ideal. Or family placement could have a criminal background, but evidence of having improved it. Or family placement will need financial support. Or family placement might not agree not to spank children. Or any number of the gray area of "yes the children would have a 'better life' with the foster family, but the family placement is still a safe place to be."

Praying your cherubs' guardian can stand tall and strong for them....

D's Momma said...

Just wondering, has your family considered getting your own lawyer? We were having some major issues with my son's case..then we hired our own lawyer, who also served as a GAL for the county so he was very familiar with OCYS..and as soon as he got involved, everything *magically* started going smoothly (ie legally), our point of view was heard in court, and my son is now ours. The judge may not want to return the kids, but unless someone presents some of this evidence, they won't have a choice. You need to get the court to hear you, if no one else will..

CherubMamma said...

We've considered getting our own lawyer. But to the tune of $10-20,000 it's not a gamble we can take right now. I called several lawyers and got the rates down here. I believe CPS is against us getting custody for racial reasons. When we went to court in January the judge all but TOLD me to hire a lawyer so I could be heard officially. We've prayed though and don't feel like we're supposed to.

Though, this is the first time I've gotten evidence of a true safety concern. All my other issues have been minor (well...except for the syringe in their bag of course). I'm going to pray some more. Maybe we will get a lawyer - but ultimately I doubt it.

I do have a call in to the cherubs' GAL now. I've put together a summary of the entire case highlighting things that I think are important. I've captured some images from Tio E's FB page and I printed out his current charges.

And now I'm just going to pray. 'Cause really...that's all I've got.

D's Momma said...

$10-$20K is RIDICULOUS..we had our lawyer for about 6 months, he went with us to 3 hearings plus did a lot of leg work..and I paid total just over $3K. If you DO adopt, it can be deducted as an adoption expense, just fyi. Maybe you could see how much it would cost for a lawyer just to write a letter to the court on your behalf? We will be praying for you and those little ones here, too!

CherubMamma said...

I've got some friends that are intervening and they're up to $9000 so far and they haven't finished anything yet.

I'm going to pray. And then pray some more. If we are to intervene things will fall in to place.

I spoke with multiple lawyers the first time we considered this and nothing worked out. No one was willing to even really talk to me.

So I'll pray. And then pray some more.

Foster Mom - R said...

And we'll pray too.

NK Sailor said...

I'm praying too!!!!