Friday, May 10, 2013

Piecing together a fundraiser

It has been made very clear to me by several different professionals that the only way we can get the State to act in the best interests of Dude and Dolly is for my husband and I to legally intervene in their case.

This can be done without a lawyer. However, I know very little about the actualities of the legal system and I am far from comfortable representing myself when it comes to terminating the parental rights of another set of parents.

We have to hire a lawyer.

From there, our lawyer will file a petition to intervene. ALL the case documents have to be made available to us and to our lawyer. Our lawyer is to then build a case in favor of termination with the permanency plan being that we should adopt the cherubs. We will become a legal option for permanency that the judge can consider when he rules. If CPS "cooperates", it could go quite quickly. They have grounds to terminate. In fact, I'm puzzled why it's never been brought to the table!

But this process is not an easy one. Lawyers are expensive. It could be quite time consuming if CPS wants to continue to fight for placing the cherubs with Grandma.

I need help.

Like I said yesterday, I need your prayers the most.

However, several people have contacted me both on the blog and in real life to offer me financial assistance in our fight. With the help of some of my friends, a fundraiser has been started.




That bear up in the tree is Dude.
The one on the ground looking up is Dolly.
And then there is me...protecting them both.

This is actually a 1000 piece puzzle. For every $5 raised, our family will be able to put a piece of this puzzle together. Anyone that donates will have their name written on the back of "their" puzzle piece. When it's all finished, our family will have a keepsake that we can frame and hang forever reminding us of all the love and support we received during our fight to protect these cherubs. As I was told just this past Monday by a friend, there are a lot of Mamma Bears out there praying for my cherubs. And since prayers were answered Monday in court, we're stepping out in faith with what we believe we must do next.

A donation button is up in the corner of this blog. Monies raised aren't coming directly to me. Tammy at I Must Be Trippin' is the one that stayed up late last night taking care of this. We "met" each other online what seems like ages ago AND I had the pleasure of meeting her in real life just a month ago when I went with her (and some other terrific foster mammas) to a mom's retreat in Tyler, Texas. Tammy is A.W.E.S.O.M.E!! When I expressed how overwhelmed I am with this whole turn of events (coupled along with some serious health issues and hospitalizations affecting both my father and my father-in-law) Tammy said, "Don't worry about a thing." She set up the PayPal account and is going to manage the funds that come in. As our family needs money toward the lawyer, we will be able to draw from the account she set up.

The puzzle is being shipped to my house. I'll keep everyone updated with our progress with pictures as often as I can. We'll put together the puzzle together piece by piece as donations come in.

I thank you again for your prayers. If you feel so inclined to help my family in the financial battle that we face, thank you for that as well.

11 comments:

Mie said...

Ok - you need a tracker :)

CherubMamma said...

I don't know how to DO any of this.

No joke -- the stress is off the charts in my house right now! My father-in-law was hospitalized on Sunday with a life threatening bacteria. We've spent a lot of time and emotional energy over that issue. (Ultimately, it was decided that my husband would remain in Texas and not go North just yet. His father and family is in Iowa.)

My dad was admitted to the hospital on Monday. His ailment seems to be more related to mental health issues. The people involved in his case are tossing out diagnoses like dementia and paranoia. It's taken everything I have to not fly home and be there for my family - also in Iowa.

I'm doing good to just function right now. :) The fall-out from court is just horrific with all four of my younger cherubs!! It is so emotionally difficult for EVERYONE. And Herman has had all his end of the year tests this week so he's been stressed out too.

I told Tammy that I will DO anything I'm told to do. But I don't know how to set up a tracker. Shoot, I didn't know how to even start a fundraiser. This is all being done for me. :)
As soon as the puzzle arrives though we will begin putting it together as a family and I'll post pictures (daily?) of the progress.

aka. Mimi said...

I just put up a tracker on "Trippin'!"

http://tamlynn75random.blogspot.com/

I will be posting more details there later this afternoon. (Got a sick little Bug today :-(

I am SO HAPPY to be able to do this for you, Mamma! You have more people than you know who are behind your family all the way. We'll all do our part to help you keep Dude and Dolly safe.

Love you, girl!!!
T...

POWmom01 said...

Prayers are coming out all over for you and yours. I am so happy that I can be a (very) small part of keeping those toothbrushes all together!!!

Mandy said...

I am praying for you all. I am glad to be a part of blessing these children I have read about and prayed over for so long.

In This Life said...

We just bought 10 puzzle pieces, 7 for my own kiddos and 3 for the ones I've been priviliged to foster. You and your family are in our prayers, you can do this!

eileen said...

Oh, I am a foster momma bear that just donated a small bit towards your fight. I wish I had more to give, but your have my prayers!

Michelle said...

Would your local bar association help you find a pro-bono attorney? It's worth asking -- IME some of them are AWESOME! I'll be donating, but this is another thought about how to proceed.

Perhaps a local women's shelter or DV program? I know that's not the situation in YOUR immediate family, but it could affect the cubs were they sent to live with their bio-grandma.

I'll keep thinking of resources for you, mama.

Michelle said...

Would your local bar association help you find a pro-bono attorney? It's worth asking -- IME some of them are AWESOME! I'll be donating, but this is another thought about how to proceed.

Perhaps a local women's shelter or DV program? I know that's not the situation in YOUR immediate family, but it could affect the cubs were they sent to live with their bio-grandma.

I'll keep thinking of resources for you, mama.

Kate said...

I wish I could give more. I'm a grad student who hopes to foster/adopt someday. I came to your blog from Last Mom.

mymcmlife.com said...

I said this on Last Mom blog:
Ask the judge to take the kids out of state custody and put them into your custody. The department will not like it but you have a right to petition for custody. (They won't like it if you hire an attorney either.) Ideally, you would have an attorney put together a formal petition for custody for you but we actually had a judge take a child out of state custody and put her into our custody during a permanency plan hearing. It's rare but allowed. After that we hired an attorney to complete the TPR and adoption and had to get a new home study done. All was less than $3000 and took approximately 10 months. A judge is allowed to move a child out of state custody into a shelter placement if it's in the child's best interest and "the least drastic alternative to state custody." That was here in Tennessee 2 years ago but it's been done! Praying that this works out of you all and the kids get what is truly best for them.

And let me add to it, now that I've read this post. You will need an attorney to do TPR and to finalize the adoption but a judge can take a child out of state custody before that point. In our case the GAL and judge both agreed that what the department was doing was wrong. A judge can't make placement decisions for a child who is in state custody but a judge CAN make the decision to take a child out of state custody even if it's against the recommendations of the state (or against their policies). Praying for you! I'll follow along.