Thursday, May 9, 2013

Prayer request

Lawyer: "You can expect to pay $2000 just to get started. I'll need $1000 up front."

Me: "I can do that.  < pause >  I've heard these can cost as much as $20,000."

Lawyer: WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT "Oh yeah!! They can!! You can also expect this could take up to a year."

-----

Doors have opened though. And I've got some friends that are more than just rooting for me...they are going to help me come up with some of that potential $20K. NEVER in a million years did I think I would ever be a part of anything like this. NEVER did I think I'd have to risk my finances to do the job the State is unwilling to do.
• But the judge told me to do it.
• The lawyer told me to do it.
• The therapist sees this case in black and white (in our favor).
• And the kids want to stay here.
How can I not do this?

It means a lot to me to have the support of y'all. It means more than you know. And even if I do come out and ask for money...what I covet most are your prayers. God is bigger than this whole mess. Miracles can happen. Things could move faster than any intervention in our area ever has before. The lawyer could be fair and not overcharge. CPS could step up and do what is just and legal.

God IS bigger than this whole mess.

So, since I'm up to my eyeballs in drama and stress right now, I'm boldly asking for prayers. I thank you in advance for covering us with your prayer.

10 comments:

Anna said...

I'm so glad you are doing this. Those kids NEED you. Makes me mad that it has to be so hard to keep them where they NEED to be.

Foster Mom - R said...

Darling you have them. My heart is happy that you are going down this road. And God is way bigger than this whole mess.

Kay said...

I don't comment much but I've been following Dude and Dolly's story for a long time now. I am so moved by your dedication to your kids and pray that justice will be done. If you do set up a fundraiser on the blog, count me in.

Alice said...

You and your sweet babies have my prayers. If paying a lawyer can help those kids stay where they're safe, loved, and WANTED, I'd be happy to pitch in. If every foster parent who reads this blog sent $10 (or $50) of their monthly stipend from the state, that could add up fast. I have two foster babies-and I can spare $100 to keep your babies safe. I know not everybody can. I don't know much about fundraising, but some people do a chip in button or gofundme.com. Just some food for thought... :0)

Raina said...

I'll give you prayers and a donation! It's worth it to keep the kids safe. Don't be afraid to set up a fundraiser! I'm sure you'll get more support than you realize.

r. said...

Speaking as a another lawyer in your part of the state (I think), before you get too far along with this lawyer, be sure to ask whether he or she has handled this specific type of case (CPS intervention) before. A law firm is a business, and unfortunately some lawyers will take a big case in an area they have no experience in, just to keep the money coming in. Also, make sure the lawyer feels like a good "fit." Did the lawyer seem organized? Disorganized lawyers miss deadlines, don't have all their ducks in a row for court, and are generally liable to be less prepared. It's a big risk in solo firms especially. Make sure the lawyer seems organized and on top of their schedule and is accessible by phone. Also, be aware that the lawyer might ask you to stop blogging and stop posting about the case on Facebook.

CherubMamma said...

@r -- you make excellent points!

All I know about the lawyer we've picked so far is that I believe she currently works CPS cases so she knows all the ins and outs. She was UNOFFICIALLY recommended to me by someone in CPS. (I will not disclose to the lawyer who recommended her to me as I don't want to jeopardize the CPS worker's job.)

The secretary in the law office took my call but then immediately patched me back to the lawyer herself. I'm hoping communication would stay accessible by phone for sure!

As far as the blogging goes, yeah, I know that's a HUGE risk. Not too many people that know me in real life know that I blog. And to the best of my knowledge, no one in my foster parenting circles down where I live know about the blog at all. It is risky though. I do know that! I'm pretty discreet on FB. All I've done so far is indicated that we're talking with a lawyer.

Thank you for your advice!

G said...

Praying, praying, praying.

Appalling that it could cost that much to do the right thing....but glad to help in any way I can.

Mitzy said...

You've got my prayers and my money! Go for it!

Carrie said...

Praying! And hoping this goes very quickly so those kiddos can heal.