Friday, June 7, 2013

Staying in contact


I just got a letter from the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services. When Pumpkin was in my care I signed her up for the Community Living Assistance and Support Services program. The waiting list is almost twelve years long! Pumpkin will never live on her own. She will always need care! It was imperative that she be on this waiting list. However, CPS never did anything to switch contact information for Pumpkin on this list. I'm still listed as the primary contact.

The worker that called me today was FURIOUS that the info. had not been updated by CPS! Her first words were, "We can't let Pumpkin get off this list!"

Praise God this woman has a brain and was confident enough to use it. She allowed me to update Pumpkin's file with the new information of her aunt and uncle. She kept Pumpkin on the list. She didn't make me (or Pumpkin's family) jump through hoops.

I'm so thankful I was able to be a part of Pumpkin's transition to her aunt and uncle's! I have their address and phone numbers and now Pumpkin is still on the waiting list to get services when she's 18.

No comments: