Wednesday, March 12, 2014

In the PICU

It has been a crazy long day. I got up this morning at 5:30 because I wanted to be totally ready when they came up from surgery to get Daisy. I was told they'd probably be up for us between 6-7am. Sadly, my nerves took over when they didn't come to get Daisy until almost 9:00. After a wait in pre-op, she went back for surgery around 10:30am. 

They drilled three holes into her scull and attached catheters to drain the fluid/blood that has been accumulating since the initial injury. The fluid is not there now due to malfunctioning shunts. Honestly, I can't explain it. The neurosurgeon was completely unphased though and assured me everything is going to fine. 

Around 12:30pm the doctor came out to let us (Mr. Amazing was with me) know that Daisy did well and there were no complications. He is a bit puzzled by the type of fluid coming from one of the drainage holes. I don't know how he's going to do it but he says he's going to have to figure out what's going on there. Also, one of her shunts is possibly not working. He says it's currently not needed tho so it's not an issue at all right now. 

I'm positive this isn't going to be the only brain surgery Miss Daisy has while in my care. 

We are now back in the PICU. Daisy is eating again!! She's doing well. Believe it or not - but they are managing any pain she has with plain old Tylenol. So far, Daisy doesn't appear to be in pain. She has taken 16oz of fluid (4 of pedialyte and 12 of formula) since she got into the PICU. That's more than I was able to get her to take daily when this whole ordeal started. 

The surgeon did say that he does NOT believe the vomiting/diarrhea/not eating issues were caused by the fluid on her brain. He said the pressures in her brain were low. I believe this whole brain issue was caught early simply because we were in the hospital for the stomach virus/RSV issue. It was easy enough to order the CT scan because we were already here. If Daisy had recovered from the virus she so lovingly gave to our whole family easily, we might not have caught this for a long time. 

God knows what He's doing. 

We will be here until Saturday or Sunday I believe. 

Thank you all for your prayers. It was not an easy day. But I can't imagine having lived thru it without prayer. 

I'll do my best to keep updated on here. Thanks again for all your prayers. Keep them coming please. I'm sure this recovery isn't going to be easy. 

3 comments:

grkanga said...

Thank you for the updates here and on Fbook. Heart and thoughts are with you all. Must be very hard on your boys worrying about Miss Daisy and coping with you both being gone.
Good wishes to all!

Rhonda said...

Yes, thank you for the updates. I got up first thing this morning to check on Miss Daisy. I have been following you for a couple of years now, and I want to tell you and your husband how much I admire your strength,faith,and courage through all the trials and tribulations of foster care. Thank you for your labors of love on behalf of your cherubs.

kis2and3 said...

So glad!