Our trial was scheduled for 1:30pm today. I arrived at the courthouse about 40 minutes early. I've always been told to arrive early so that the lawyer for my cherub(s) can speak with me and/or with the cherubs (when applicable). The doors to the indoor waiting room were locked. I sat outside with Daisy. Thankfully she fell asleep in the stroller for a little bit of the wait.
There were three trials all on the docket at 1:30pm. We were the third case in line. We didn't called into the courtroom until 2:50pm.
It was a very long wait until that time came.
Imagine entertaining a developmentally delayed, vision impaired child in 100 degree weather while outside or in a tiny little waiting room while inside. Toys are rather pointless. I don't load her up with snacks all day long. (Especially since she has seemed a little under the weather since I picked her up last night.) All we could do is hold her as her mother doesn't like her to crawl around in public places. Daisy went back and forth between her mother and me most the entire time.
At 2:50pm we all filed in to the courtroom. Roll call was taken and all the decision makers stated their names and their roles in the case for the record. Then, immediately, Daisy's lawyer asked for an in chamber meeting. The judge agreed and all the decision makers filed out of the room.
For over 20 minutes I sat in the courtroom with Kori, Bio Dad, Daisy's paternal grandparents, Kori's mother and Kori's ex-husband. Also in the room were the bailiff and the judge's assistant (secretary??). It was awkward. Daisy was frustrated from having nothing to do for hours and wiggled and fussed on her mom's lap the entire time.
At about 3:15pm everyone filed back in to the courtroom.
Then, for reasons that I still don't know, the judge and his assistant walked out of the room.
About 3 minutes later they came back in.
The judge reminded everyone that the dismissal date for the CPS case is November 10, 2014. He then asked CPS what their position is in this case.
The lawyer for CPS asked to reset the trial. It seems that Bio Dad has finally been indicted for his crimes against Daisy. Because of this, they want to wait and see what happens in criminal court before proceeding in CPS court.
Daisy's lawyer stood and asked for the same thing.
Kori's lawyer stood and very much opposed resetting the CPS trial. She argued that because Kori's support system had gone to the trouble of coming in from out of state and whatnot, the trial should go on today as scheduled.
The judge listened and then did a lot of speaking. First, he made it clear that the criminal trail for Bio Dad is not going to impede on the CPS trial. He granted the continuance but he made it very clear that he is not, under any circumstances, going to change the dismissal date for this CPS case. Everything in this case has to be "done" (whatever that means - because Lord knows kids stay in foster care for years down here) by November 10, 2014.
Another pretrial was called for September 24. The new date for the CPS trial is going to be October 2. The judge emphasized that everyone needs to be fully prepared for the trial on October 2. He stressed this point several times. He indicated that expert witnesses may need to be lined up. He wanted everyone to understand how serious he is about this trial happening on time and this case being over by November 10.
I don't have much else to report. Visits are going to continue on as normal because basically, nothing happened today. Bio Dad goes to trial for his crimes (he plead not guilty to two different charges) on Monday.
CPS does not want reunification. Neither does Daisy's lawyer. The trial in October is considered a contested trial. Because of the charges against Bio Dad, CPS will now be able to ask for TPR on him. But even Daisy's lawyer doesn't think there are grounds for TPR on Kori. If I was a betting person I would bet that Kori will get Daisy back "because Dad will be in prison and therefore Daisy will be safe". Or they will find some relative that is really willing to step in and care for Daisy. Supposedly there is a relative (a sister maybe??) that has stepped forward. The judge OK'd a home study but said he will not consider placement until the trial.
Thank you all for your prayers. I guess we get to do this again in just a little over a month.