Saturday, September 20, 2014

Things I know to be true:

  1. Kori moved to a new home at the first of the month.
  2. Kori hasn't met the new CPS caseworker, Martin, in person yet.
  3. Until late Friday afternoon of this week, CPS didn't even have the new address for Kori. She had only emailed Martin and his supervisor to tell them the new town she is living in.
  4. That means that no home assessment was done at Kori's new home.
    (I originally posted this and called it a "home study". Kori wouldn't have to undergo a full home study as we foster parents and kinship providers know it. However, someone from CPS should have come over to look at the home and ensure that it was safe for Daisy.)
  5. That also means that Bio Dad could have easily been in Kori's home last weekend because there was no threat at all of a surprise visit from CPS because they wouldn't have known where to go.
  6. Daisy doesn't like the transfer on Saturdays at all. She started fussing as soon as we finished dinner and didn't stop until I put her in the car to leave. Once in the parking lot, as soon as she heard her mother's voice, she freaked out and started screaming. I practically had to peel her off of me to hand her over to Kori.
  7. I hate being a part of making a baby cry like that.
  8. Foster care sucks.
I will be calling Daisy's lawyer on Monday to let her know about the new address and lack of an updated home study. I'm also going to let her know about Kori's choice of decor in her new home. Daisy's speech therapist visits Daisy at Kori's home on Mondays and at my home on Wednesdays. Last week the therapist told me that Daisy does look a lot like her bio dad. It seems that when Kori moved into her new home she chose to put a photo of Daisy with Bio Dad up on the mantle in the living room. Of course displaying a photo like this isn't against the law. But it sure does continue to paint a picture of Kori supporting Bio Dad in a way that makes me just more than a little sick.

10 comments:

r. said...

Why would she need a homestudy if she's the child's biological mother?

Cherub Mamma said...

It's my understanding that she had to undergo a home study before overnight visits could take place. They have to assess the home where the child will be since the child is under the custody of the State.

Maybe I'm wrong????

But a couple other foster parents commented on the FB page that bio parents involved in their cases, that moved during the case, had to undergo at least a home visit prior to any unsupervised visits in the new location.

La Mama Loca said...

My kids' bios had to have an inspection done every time they moved. It wasn't the same as a homestudy like we had to have to foster, but it was definitely something that had to be done before they'd approve any visits in home!

Emily Winner said...

I would make them aware of her reactions to when she gets to mom's too. That to me sounds off .. throwing up red flags (not that she's necessarily hurting her but something seems off)

StarfishMom said...

Home study should have been done PRIOR to baby going to bio moms house for a visit, let alone an overnight. It's to make sure baby is in a child proof, safe environment. Once CPS and fostercare is involved in your life you have to be in compliance with these regulations. How could they drop the ball...AGAIN???

kate said...

Still reading along here and offering all our support.

r. said...

In my neck of the woods "home study" and "home visit" (or "home assessment") are two different things. A home study is the assessment and report done by an outside agency that CPS contracts with. It's done for potential placements other than the legal parents. It's in-depth, with interviews of all members of the household, references, all adult children, etc. If you just meant a basic home visit/home assessment (where the caseworker goes by and looks at the place), then, yeah, I'd agree that that would be more likely for Kori's new place.

Cherub Mamma said...

You're right r.
I used the wrong words. I suppose I should have said a home assessment wasn't done.

r. said...

Gotcha. Yeah, that would be an issue...

Paige Lovelace said...

To me the home assessment not being done would raise a red flag !