Sunday, November 9, 2014

I went to my first full B.A.C.A. meeting

I'm on my way to becoming a member of B.A.C.A. (Bikers Against Child Abuse). I'm looking forward to being able to help abused kids from an angle different than foster care.

I'll be honest, I'm no biker. I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle yet. But I'm going to learn. And then I'll be able to ride with Mr. Amazing. In the meantime, I'm eligible to be a member of B.A.C.A. because I "have access to a motorcycle".

It takes at least a full year from expressing interesting in B.A.C.A. to the time you receive your back patch and can have a relationship with a child directly. For now I can attend meetings. And after my background checks (both State and Federal) come back, I can attend child centered events - like the ceremony called a "Level One" when a child is welcomed into the B.A.C.A. club. (And yes, I have to go through all the background checks all over again.) I submitted my fingerprints about two months ago so I should have Federal clearance soon.

For those of you unfamiliar with B.A.C.A., I thought I'd post their Mission Statement today:
Bikers Against Child Abuse (B.A.C.A.) exists with the intent to create a safer environment for abused children. We exist as a body of bikers to empower children to not feel afraid of the world in which they live. We stand ready to lend support to our wounded friends by involving them with an established, united organization. We work in conjunction with local and state officials who are already in place to protect children. We desire to send a clear message to all involved with the abused child that this child is part of our organization, and that we are prepared to lend our physical and emotional support to them by affiliation, and our physical presence. We stand at the ready to shield these children from further abuse. We do not condone the use of violence or physical force in any manner, however, if circumstances arise that we are the only obstacle preventing a child from further abuse, we stand ready to be that obstacle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for hiding my identity on Fbook.
After writing to you I found someone through the School of Social Welfare University California Berkeley who had access to some answers. He said in the past about 5 years the number of children no in permanency after 18 months in foster care in CA is between 1/3 and 40%. He cited: Data Source: CWS/CMS 2014 Quarter 2 Extract.
http://cssr.berkeley.edu/ucb_childwelfare/C1M3.aspx as the source of his figures. IF other interested people in other states asked at their respective state universities we might have factual data that would be helpful for BACA. I think BACA wants to help ALL the children in care and starting with research facts not stories of children I have known will help in getting the attention of state Attorney Generals. Without accurate facts they are distracted by other adult criminal actions and children do and will continue to get ignored.
THANK YOU FOR DOING SUCH A FABULOUS JOB OF TELLING FORSTER CARE TRUTH and advocating for keeping children safe one real live child at a time.