Monday, December 8, 2014

Welcome to the Roller Coaster

Most of my readers know all about Dude and Dolly. They were my everything. We fostered those cherubs for 27 months of their very young lives.

Their mom dropped out of the case almost immediately.
(And now, 3.5 years later, she's still not involved. At all.)

Dude and Dolly needed permanency and the State wasn't doing much to give it to them. After living with us for two years, we finally hired a lawyer to intervene. 

Lawyers are expensive.

My friends banded around me. One friend started a puzzle fundraiser on her blog. People from all over the world donated money. I was very humbled.

Another friend said, "Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we write a book?"

A book?!

Yeah, a book.

With no thought toward personal gain, fourteen women poured their hearts into their stories. Several more people took those stories and spent hours editing them and laying out said book.

All the while we continued to foster and adopt more cherubs in our group of mammas.

As you all know, Dude and Dolly didn't get to stay with us. And eventually, I told our lawyer we were done.

But we kept working on the book.

And today, I'm very proud to announce that the book is officially for sale.
It is a collection of the good, the bad and the ugly of foster care. Each story is personal and written in the voice of the mom that lived that story. If you want to know more about the roller coaster that is foster care, this book tells it like it is.

Welcome to the Roller Coaster is available for sale at WelcomeToTheRollerCoaster.blogspot.com. Copies of the paperback are $14.99 plus $3.99 shipping. Orders for the first printing are being taken today, December 8, through Sunday, December 14.

On December 15, our first run will go to the printer. After about a week, we will have all the copies in our hot little hands. At that time, we will start personally filling all the orders. If everything goes right, the first printing of the book should be in people's hands before Christmas.

As time progresses, an Ebook version for the Kindle will be made available. (I'm the graphic artist designing this book though and the Ebook version has taken quite a bit of my time. I'm getting to it. Life is a little bit easier now that I'm not chasing Miss Daisy around anymore.)

Speaking of Miss Daisy...
Her mom sent me a picture yesterday. I teared up almost instantly. Daisy is standing in every picture she sends me and her smile is straight from her heart. Not just any smile. But one that shows Daisy is full of joy in her soul. As much as it pains me to say this, and as much as I still worry sometimes, I think Miss Daisy is probably exactly where she belongs.

I told Kori that we have a gift for Daisy. I asked if we could get together at my place? Her place? Or somewhere neutral?

Kori said absolutely yes! She just needs to look at her schedule to come up with a day that works for her.

This foster care stuff really is a roller coaster. As cheesy as that title first sounded to me when we started putting the book together, it honestly does fit.

We're just a group of foster mammas that thought the proceeds from a book might help two cherubs trapped in the clutches of foster care unnecessarily. Now we know that this book is so much more than that. It tells the stories you don't hear when you sit in your first class of training. These are the stories of real foster care. Maybe you've been fostering for a long time. Reading this book you'll know you're not alone. Maybe friends and family can read the book to better understand what you're going through as a foster parent. Maybe licensing agencies can make it available to open the eyes of brand new foster parents.

Our only advertising is going to be social media. It would mean a lot to me if y'all could share about this book. Welcome to the Roller Coaster has a Facebook page and a blog page. Any help you can give us promoting the book is much appreciated.

Thanks!
~ Cherub Mamma

No comments: