Saturday, October 3, 2015

Russell's communication abilities

This post is just for me. I wrote down all the words that Russell seemed to know as of 07-23-15. I want to save this information but I don't have anywhere convenient started to save it.

Yes, I know I should make a "life book". I take a zillion pictures. And when he leaves (if he leaves) I will make a special book of him. However, if he leaves, I can almost guarantee that the person he will be going to won't be vested in teaching him sign language. They probably won't even speak English. (In the event that I'm wrong, I promise I will transfer information like this over for them.)

That said, this post is for me.  :)

WORDS RUSSELL USES AS OF JULY 23, 2015...

Sign language only:
eat (w/prompt)
more (w/prompt)
music
bounce
play
milk
bye-bye (w/prompt)
hi (w/prompt)
give me (w/prompt)

Spoken only:
gentle
Herman (IRL name of course)
nigh-nigh

Signed and spoken:
ma ma
da da
all done (w/prompt)

Since the surgery, Russell has added more words.

Sign language only:

yes
grapes (w/prompt)
shoes
I love you (he simply puts his hand out in response to our sign)

He also signs a lot of the words above more consistently and without a physical prompt

Russell will consistently point to these body parts when asked:
head
nose
mouth
ears
tummy
feet


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUMONGOUS achievement by your whole family. Huge effort by you. And fabulous pay off. You have opened a door that will change his whole life. Comprehending that communication is possible and beginning use language is fantastic.
I am so glad you have kept these lists and shared them with us. Hope. So important to have hope.
Thank you.