Thursday, November 12, 2015

Text conversation between me and Rainbow

Rainbow:
Hi :)

Me:
Oh boy. Now what?!
LOL

Rainbow:
LOL
Would you be so kind as to do respite for one of our boys during Thanskgiving? It would be 11/25 - 11/28.

Me:
Who's being such an asshat that they can't include their foster kids on Thanksgiving?

Rainbow:
He's 14...Low functioning but independent. No behaviors...he just talks a lot and likes to collect paper.
Ha ha ha they are going out of town that week for a wedding :(

Me:
I don't know.
Can he sleep downstairs? Is he a flight risk?

Rainbow:
Not a flight risk at all. Very good kid. Just needs a night light.

Me:
I'm going to have to think about it. Not sure I want to complicate those days off really.
It's always stressful to bring in a kid we don't know. And since it's over the holiday, I'm going to be busy.
Also, we don't do traditional Thanksgiving. He will probably be a little freaked out by our food choices.

Rainbow:
OK. We just really want him in a home that we know he will be welcomed especially over the holidays.

Me:
Way to tug at my heart strings.

Rainbow:
To be honest, I don't know how much of a holiday he has ever had.

Me:
You're killing me.

Rainbow:
Haha. Sorry. Not trying to do that.

Me:
I can't say yes without talking to everyone else.

Rainbow:
But he really does have a sad story!

Me:
Of course he does. And you know I want to save them all. I'm such a sucker.

Rainbow:
Haha. I know. But I don't want to make things hectic for you. Just let me know what you decide.

Me:
It really would make things hectic. It's emotionally very difficult every time a new kid comes!!!!
I'll let you know tho. Message me tomorrow if I forget to let you know.

Rainbow:
OK. I will. Thanks for considering.

3 comments:

abrianna said...

If the family is being an asshat, shame on them. Maybe the family did want to take him out of town and his worker or agency would not let him go the way they did with you when your dad was dying and you wanted to bring your foster kids with you.

Cherub Mamma said...

I spoke with Rainbow about this young man after we had the text conversation.

Maybe taking this boy to a family wedding wouldn't be good for him or for them. I'm not sure I'd want to bring a developmentally delayed teenaged foster child to a formal event -- maybe children aren't even invited to the wedding. I honestly don't know all the details.

Or maybe they would have taken him but travel isn't allowed.

Or maybe they're just asshats.

:)

Anonymous said...

Have you heard anything else about Dude and Dolly?