Thursday, May 26, 2016

Daisy turned three years old

Daisy had a birthday this month. She's such a big girl. I'm not FB friends with any of her family - but I do my share of stalking. I see pictures every now and then.

Daisy's birthday will forever be burned in my memory as a horrifically sad day though.
This year, on a day that should have been filled with joy and celebration, Daisy's little sister, Dandelion, was killed.

No one has been arrested.
No one has been jailed.
The story didn't even make the local news.

Daisy and Dandelion had been placed, permanently, with one of Bio Dad's sisters. This aunt just turned and gave the girls back to their parents last year. The parents moved up to Central Texas and continued on about their lives.
I'll never forget the time Mr. CW told me,
"If Daisy goes back home to her mom, she's likely to end up dead."
I remember every nuance of that conversation.
It wasn't Daisy...but it was her sister.

I wasn't going to blog about this until it made the news. I wanted to keep my mouth shut in case we were formally contacted. I found out about the death in a very "off the record" sort of way. I was told that all our information was given to the CPS unit in Central Texas. I was told that they knew we would take Daisy back. And I was also told that it wouldn't happen because we're too far away...I guess sibling visits (with the two surviving siblings that have a different father) would be important.

I grieved hard. Cried for days. Couldn't stop crying. It was so bad!

Then, because I felt like I had to DO something, I contacted a news reporter.

Said news reporter wasn't able to get any documentation. She had asked a co-worker to go to the courthouse to get some paperwork. The co-worker didn't do it and now the reporter is buried in other projects.

Dandelion's death is probably never going to make the news.

I have messaged my original contact a couple different times. It's obvious I'm not going to get any more information from them.

I sent a rather generic email to the CASA unit that would be involved in Daisy's new foster care case. (The county she's in now has a lot of information available online. I don't know the details of the death, but I do know case details that are public.) Granted, I only sent this email yesterday. But I seriously doubt anyone is going to reply.

At this point in time all I want is to make sure that Daisy's new foster family has all her medical records and history. I'd like to tell this new foster family that after they adopt Daisy, they've got legal grounds to sue the State for a certain portion of Daisy's blindness. It's the State's fault she didn't receive the surgery on her right eye. That eye is permanently damaged as a result. I want to let this foster family know that I can send them pictures and videos if they want. I want to know that Daisy is OK.

I also want to make sure that Bio Dad (as I'm assuming he is the one that killed Dandelion) faces true justice this time. That's why I wanted the story in the news. He got off with barely more than a slap on the wrist for nearly killing Daisy. I don't want that to happen again.

-----

It's made things 10x harder with Russell and Star now that I know what happened to Dandelion. There are entirely too many similarities between their case and the Flower Girls' case.

I don't trust CPS at all. They didn't keep Daisy and Dandelion safe. And I don't trust them with Russell and Star, either...especially not after some more things that Bopper told me today.

Foster care sucks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to you.
Thank you for trying so hard.
I am so very sorry....... and that doesn't help.
I wish I thought the judge in your parts would hear about the consequences of their actions ... With pictures of the two children involved so their faces would haunt that judge's life day and night.
SO MUCH support to you.

Sarah said...

Heartbreaking.
I have no other words. Just heartbreaking. :(

girlfrog2003 said...

I'm crying along with you. I'm so sorry. I have no other words.

Christine said...

I cried big ugly tears. I'm so sorry and also infuriated.

Anonymous said...

SOOO GLAD someone found a contact for you and her new family. Hopefully the new ones will be receptive to getting information and pictures and medical information via an informal source or you will be able to access a person who can be a go-between. I think most fostering families do not want to create further harm... and maybe she has been super lucky and gotten a really wonderful family. That would ease your heart, and especially if a picture came back or news that she has/is gaining ground in a positive manner despite the odds.
HUGE RELIEF.
PS: Have you considered an envelope to the judge who made this ruling with pictures of the two children and their fate? From some non-local post office??? Non-identifying background..... I am so in favor of that person being in touch with reality.

Foster Mom - R said...

I read this earlier today and had no words. I still don't but wanted to affirm how awful and sad this is. These are the stories we should be hearing about. Children are really dying because of a system that protects abusers.

Thank you for sharing. It's a way to honor Dandlion- so her life won't be in vain. I will pray that Daisy's current caregivers are open to contact and are getting her what she needs.

Anonymous said...

Bio dad's sister should be charged also.
She gave this child back to the parents.
There has to be some statute she violated.