In order to best prepare for a kiddo like Daisy, I am hoping that someone from CPS could answer these questions for me.
I fully realize that the placement is not guaranteed!! But in order for the potential transition to be a smooth one, the more I know about Daisy, the better. Also, there is the issue of moving a child with severe special needs to all new medical providers.
And maybe none of these questions can be answered unless the placement is going to happen for sure. It would be helpful to know sooner, though. I honestly have to go into this knowing as much as possible. Daisy was a very challenging child when we had her before. Her neurological needs were not being met. And as a result, she had a lot of sleeping and behavior issues. (I didn’t sleep for 10 months. I honestly can’t do that again.) I will need to know if I have to drive to a neurologist in Central Texas or if I can get her on the waiting list for the pediatric neurologist I want to see here (where we live).
1. What medications is she on now?
2. What doctors/specialists does she see regularly?
(Names and addresses would be helpful so I can start updating her files on my end.)
3. What therapies is she currently receiving?
Would it be possible for me to see her most recent evaluations or talk with her therapists?
4. What procedures, if any, has she had in the last two years?
5. Has she had any vaccinations? (I wasn’t allowed to vaccinate her at all when she was in Care the first time.)
6. Since coming back into care in May 2016, how many placements has she had? I was told she had at least two foster families and now she’s with fictive-kin. Were there more placements?
7. Will sibling visits be required with her half-siblings?
8. Why is she leveled “specialized”? Is it due to medical needs, behavior needs, developmental delay, or????
9. If possible to describe, what is her sleep like? Please be honest here. I need to know exactly what to expect so that I can arrange the best bedroom placement for all the kids in my home.
I appreciate any information that CPS can pass on to me.
I'm not honestly expecting an answer right now. I'm betting they won't tell me anything because the placement is not guaranteed - it's only something they are "strongly considering".
If that's the case, I'll do my best to make sure that someone does answer these questions before I officially agree to take placement of Daisy. I mean, I've said "yes". But like all things foster care...they can't just bring her to my home. They'll have to talk to me about this again before she is moved.
If at any point in time I'm met with hesitation toward answering my questions - or pressure to move quickly to adoption - I'm going to take a LONG HARD pause before I agree. I will not destroy my family by deciding to do anything without getting the proper supports in place.